This local cabin, originally built in the early 1870's and owned by the Perkins family, was slated for destruction in 1971 when it was rescued by Robert Copland, then a teacher at Haslett Middle School. The owner at that time, MSU Professor VanDerJagt, donated the building to the Haslett School District and Mr. Copland moved the cabin to a wooded hill behind the school with the help of his students.
Mr. Copland, along with fellow teachers Jane Taylor and Ray Koerner, used the building to teach outdoor education and pioneer living. The program was so successful; teachers from around the world came to see how the program was taught. Unfortunately, funding cuts ended the program and the building began to fall into disrepair. The cabin was only used twice a year: in the fall to show the kindergarten classes what "long time ago" was like, and in December for Christmas carols hosted by Haslett music students.
Because the building was in a secluded, wooded location, vandalism became an on-going problem. An intentionally-set fire caused major damage to the second floor, which was subsequently repaired. The old logs were covered with graffiti and some were crumbling with rot. Fortunately, in 2005, the Haslett School District gave the cabin to the Friends of Historic Meridian in order to rescue, relocate and restore this historic building. After nearly two years of fund-raising, a contract was awarded in December, 2005, to disassemble, move, reassemble and restore the building.