The Grettenberger Farmhouse
The Grettenberger Farmhouse was the first building moved to the newly-developing Meridian Historical Village. Thanks to John Grettenberger, Sr. and his father, Orin, the donation of this Greek revival farmhouse truly launched the beginning of the Village. Originally built by Johann Grettenberger for his son, Jacob, and family between 1862 and 1865, the house was located on Marsh Road, between Hamilton Road and Grand River Avenue. The house was relocated to the Village in 1973.
The house was restored to represent a typical Michigan farmhouse of the period 1870 - 1890. The house includes a parlor used to entertain guests, a kitchen/dining/sitting room that served as the "heart of the house", a parent's bedroom and a small child's bedroom on the first floor. The second floor contains a large child's bedroom which would have housed several children, and a front room that has been set up as a weaving or spinning room.
A portion of the wall in the parlor was left unrestored to show how the building was constructed. After Mr. Grettenberger built the frame of the house, he split logs with an ax to create "lath boards" to build the base of the walls of each room. As split logs are not consistent in shape, there are gaps that remain between the boards.
The Grettenberger Farmhouse is currently closed for repairs